A quote from Walden by Henry David Thoreau is appropriate:
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all of the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.”
You should not believe anything you read on this or any other blog. This is about ideas. I am not telling you what to do. I am not offering legal, accounting, medical, psychiatric, religious, or geriatric advice. At your age you should contact your mentor before taking any action; or at the very least, the appropriate professional. Remember, you are old and probably need help; I know I do. This blog is written solely to amuse me; and, maybe, you.
About this blog:
- This is an insider’s look at aging. I am 76. I hope to intrigue you, offend your children and fascinate your grandchildren. The idea is to live, travel, experience new things; and, to rediscover my past, present and future.
- Research shows that over 98% of people die. In fact there is some evidence that everyone dies. Therefore the focus will be on living, not dying, which is taken as a given for most of us.
- I reserve the right to delete, change, edit and use any comments that I receive, in any way I deem fit, including using them on the blog, in a book, in speaking engagements, etc.
- My children think this is probably harmless, better than some things I have done, or might do.
- I will talk about my past, present and future.
- I will write about what amuses me.
- I do not receive any consideration from any company that I mention in this blog. Hopefully that will change; if it does, I will tell you.
- I have been remiss in writing since the inception of this blog. From now on, I will blog on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Click on highlighted words to visit other websites. You can get updated information.
I will talk about travel as an “old person.”
I will write a lot about New Mexico and Arizona because that is where I live and have grandchildren. The older you get, the more attention you are forced to pay to your own backyard.
I will also write about places and events in my past.