LONG TERM CARE FOR BABY BOOMERS – 2026Posted: April 20, 2016 Filed under: ESSAYS Leave a comment »
Given the number of baby boomers, the economic climate, and the scarcity of children willing or able to take care of Baby Boom, the Geezer thinks that long-term care in 2026, if it exists, will be different; and, probably not to Baby Boom’s liking.
Geezer has profiled Baby Boom, even though profiling is not politically correct. Here is the Geezer’s profile of Baby Boom and what she/he can look forward to in 2016. The geezer will be 85! He is five years ahead of the tsunami of baby boomers.
GEEZER’S PROFILE OF THE BABY BOOMER IN 2026!
- Overweight and loves processed and fast food
- No long-term care insurance
- Little if any savings
- Children who live in another town; or, no children
- Worried about Social Security, which has been frozen, reduced, eliminated or privatized
- Does not have a pension; or, if so, it is a small defined contribution plan and invested in the stock market by Baby Boom’s brother-in-law
- Conservative, but thinks that the government owes him/her and should take care of him/her
- Ready to invest in a get rich quick scheme with savings/pension
- Lover of prescription drugs
- Doesn’t exercise
- Worried about employment until he/she can retire; and, if Baby Boom has to work beyond 65, about who will hire him/her.
- Saving up his/her illness and health problems until he/she can qualify for Medicare, which may not exist or with high co-pays.
- Thinks the value of real estate (his/her home) will keep going up; after all, they are not making any more real estate.
I don’t want to scare you! Most Geezers are ok. Geezers got old while the getting was good; Baby Boom may have missed the boat. Not to worry; Baby Boom will probably not read this.
I like the nurse; maybe she could start work before 2026.
Hopefully, I have offended you; and, encouraged you to stick your head even further into the sand!